Monday, November 25, 2013

Pascal Campion

I just can't get enough of this Pascal's sketches! Ever since I first discovered his blog, http://pascalcampion.blogspot.com/, I have delighted in each new post! It boggles my mind that can produce such emotionally stunning work, calling it a "sketch," and do so every day. Wow!
Now I must begin to slow down, look closely, and try to grasp what he does that makes his art so powerful. 
I chose the above piece, "Early Morning Buddy," because it exemplifies the way Pascal often captures ordinary moments, and makes them beautiful with mood.  How is such a mood created?

1) Light. Pascal is master with light! He strikes the page with bold streaks of sunlight, often choosing complementary colors or high contrast warm & cool colors.  The glow is strategically placed to highlight the focal point.
2.) Gesture. His poses are so natural that it's as if he were watching the scene rather than reflecting on it.  This makes me want to strive, as an artist, to understand human gesture, which Pascal uses to pinpoint his message exactly
3.) Composition. He creates a smooth flow from one corner of the piece to the other. Here, I feel the pull diagonally, from the window, to the container in the foreground. He allows resting places as well, which I see here in the carpet the shadows above. Finally, I think he deliberately created depth with those objects in the immediate foreground. 

I had the most difficult time with this artist, choosing the piece to study! I love them all so very much!  If you like this piece, please explore Pascal's blog. Looking through his sketches always brightens my mood!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment